About ISO 22000 standard
ISO 22000:2018 Food Safety Management System is the latest International Standard released by International Organization for Standardization. Any organization dealing with food products from “farm to fork” can implement the requirements of this standard and get certified by IAS.
Food safety is of the highest concern for all consumers. Lack of hygiene or mishandling of food leads to the spread of diseases. This can be avoided by all the food chain operators (such as those involved in manufacturing, producing, processing, preserving, catering, storing, packaging, transporting, and operating of restaurants/cafes) implements a food safety management system to ensure the supply of clean and safe food products and services.
The ISO 22000:2018 (Food Safety Management System) standard defines the requirements for an organization to demonstrate its ability in ensuring that the food is safe for consumption. This standard is set as a guideline in planning, establishing, and implementation of a food safety management system, comprising of effective processes and best practices to develop food safety.
ISO 22000:2018 includes all the essential measures for ensuring food safety in the entire food chain. This FSMS standard has been developed by experts from the food industries and is tested for its effectiveness. It is also clear that the company’s adherence to food safety, the entire food supply chain of the organization ensure the delivery of safe food products to their clients.
What is new in 22000:2018
Current version ISO 22000:2018 revised to the High-Level Structure (Annex SL). It helps to integrate with other management systems such as ISO 9001, 14001 & 45001, etc.
There are some of the key changes from the previous version ISO 22000:2005(FSMS) are listed out below.
- Business Context (Identifying internal & external issues) & identifying the interested parties and their needs & expectations.
- Emphasis Top Management to actively engage and their commitment to achieving the effectiveness of FSMS(ISO 22000:2018)
- Scope for Animal food now specifically includes in the revised version of ISO 22000:2018.
- Control of Externally Provided process, Products & Services to meet the Food Safety Management System requirements
ISO 22000 certification
ISO 22000 Certification is obtained through a third-party neutral agency like IAS to conduct audits on your ISO 22000:2018 system in your organization.
ISO 22000 certification means that your organization is practicing this international standard which specifies the requirements for a food safety management system. Further, this provides a means to the organization to exhibit its ability to take control over the food safety hazards in order to ensure that food is safe during the time of human consumption.
ISO 22000 Certification is a universal method to ensure that the organization complies effectively to ISO 22000 (FSMS), by its beneficiaries or Interested parties.
The strategic auditing method of IAS reduces the risks and enhances customer and public confidence. Nowadays buyers are not ready to take any chance, to reduce the risk of purchasing a low-quality product, especially in the case of food products or products that are intended for consumption internally, they always look for the best quality ISO certified food products.
Irrespective of the size or sector the ISO 22000 certification(FSMS) is suitable to everyone who is in the food chain industry to ensure food safety. Farms, horticulture, cold storages, food item transporters, food processing units, hotels and restaurants, Catering units, packaged food suppliers, food supplement manufactures, dung and pharmaceuticals manufacturers, food ingredients, food chemicals manufacturer and suppliers, food outlets, etc.,
Coverage of ISO 22000 Certification in Malaysia:
As the prominent ISO Certification Bodies in Malaysia, IAS offers the service of ISO Certification through audits for ISO 22000–FSMS and also for various International Management System standards. It also delivers ISO 22000 Lead Auditor Training, ISO 22000 Internal Auditor Training, and ISO 22000 Awareness/Foundation Training in Malaysia. All these certification and Training services by IAS for the country is managed from its office in kuala lumpur from where it covers all the major cities johor, kedah, Kelantan, Pahang, Negeri Sembilan, Perak, pulau pinang, sabah, sarawak, Selangor, terengganu, wilayah persakutuan, Melaka and perlis kedah.
To know more about ISO 22000:2018 – Food Safety Management System and its certification, click here.
The process to obtain an ISO 22000 Certification
- Contact IAS by sending the application and call us for a free discussion and we can guide you in getting the ISO 22000 Certification.
- Plan and implement ISO 22000:2018 standards requirements through documented Information (how this standard is practiced, monitored, and continually improved).
- Majorly, ISO 22000 certification audit includes 2 stages:
Stage 1: Readiness Audit
Stage 2: Verifying the effectiveness Audit of the System
- ISO 22000 certification audit considers the extensive sample of its facilities, services, processes, products, and functions with flying colors.
- If any deviation is observed during the audit, a deviation report will be provided along with the detailed audit report. According to the grading of the deviations, the IAS determines the time required for its closure including the correction and corrective actions which have to be approved by the IAS audit team. After the effective closure of Non-conformity, the Certificate is issued limiting to the scope that was audited.
Click here, For more information on the application and audit procedure
- Having nearly two decades of ISO 22000 Certification audit experience helps to obtain the certification faster.
- The auditors and trainers in IAS are innovative, simple, practical, and effective in the implementation process that helps to strengthen the business operations of the organization.
- IAS is an authorized ISO Certification Body for providing ISO 22000 certification with UQAS and JAS-ANZ accreditation through our associate organization, EAS.
- The Knowledge, skills, experience, and global presence of IAS have created a history of executing successful large-scale, complex international projects. Our auditors for ISO 22000 certification understand the value of the culture and nature of the local market and perform internationally in an effective and consistent manner.
- IAS conducts the audits in a value-added manner to benefit the clients of small, medium, and large organizations. Our procedure is very simple to understand and the services are well-timed and cost-effective.
- Our presence is in India, the Philippines, Indonesia, Oman, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Malaysia, Singapore, with more than 6000 clients
- We have addressed almost all the sectors broadly diversified in Industrial equipment, Automobile industry, Chemical Industry, Steel production, FMCG industry, Aerospace manufacturing, Healthcare Industry, Hospitality industry, Consumer electronics, Food industry, Textile industry, Energy, Telecommunication, IT Industry, Oil and Gas.
- We have more than 300 experienced impaneled auditors to effectively assess an organization’s conformance to the Food Safety Management System unleashing a true potential for Improvement.
Benefits of ISO 22000 Certification
ISO Food Safety Management Systems (22000:2018) certification helps to reduce the production of low-quality food and thereby reduces health risks. This certification provides an assurance to food safety and also helps to maintain the trust of the Customer. The major benefits of obtaining ISO 22000:2018 certifications are listed below.
- Introduce globally recognized processes to your business
- Give assurance to the suppliers and stakeholders in your hazard controls.
- Maintain these hazard controls in place across your supply chain
- Helps in reducing the rates of foodborne disease
- Continually improve and revise your systems so it stays effective
What an Organization should do to achieve certification?
- Contact IAS for conducting FSMS Audit and discuss the audit procedure specific to your organization
- Understand the standard ISO 22000:2018 Food Safety Management System requirement and implement it in your organization before going for certification. E.g. Documenting, training the staff, practicing the system, etc
- Conduct one internal Audit program by trained FSMS Internal Auditors.
- Collect and complete the data analysis.
- Conduct a Management review with the help of analyzed data and make some effective decisions to develop the Organization’s performance towards company objectives & goals.
- Carry out & complete the ISO 220000 audit successfully. (Stage 1 and Stage 2)
- Close the Nonconformance effectively, if any.
- Carry out the surveillance audit yearly to maintain ISO 22000 certification.